Thursday, June 3, 2010

Programming in Scala is fun

In learning more about what Scala can do I decided to work on the problems listed in the Project Euler website.

"Project Euler is a series of challenging mathematical/computer programming problems that will require more than just mathematical insights to solve. Although mathematics will help you arrive at elegant and efficient methods, the use of a computer and programming skills will be required to solve most problems."

I have only completed the first ten and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Not only have a learnt some neat tricks one can do with Scala I have also learnt about a number of different mathematical algorithms. At some point I would like to go back over some of the problems and see how one would do them in Java just to compare the difference between Java and Scala. I can only imagine it would be a lot less enjoyable and perhaps even a little painful.

2 comments:

Nhlanhla Mazibuko said...

hi Ross

i want to know - do you know JCAPS--
can i build the shorping cart using the JCAPS

rmahony said...

I have never worked with JCAPS so can't help you. I haven't heard many positive things about JCAPS from people who have worked with it. I would be interested to know what your thoughts on it are.

As for the shopping cart application, that was strictly a sample web application. Are you looking for a sample application / tutorial that uses JCAPS?